27th February 2019 | 14:00 -16:30
“Critical appraisal is the process of carefully and systematically examining research to judge its trustworthiness, and its value and relevance in a particular context.” (Burls and Brice, n.d)
The critical appraisal workshop will provide an introduction to critical appraisal and equip participants with skills on how to read clinical and research papers with confidence. The workshop will incorporate a combination of lectures and short exercises.
The workshop will cover the following areas:
- An introduction to critical appraisal
- The research question, hypothesis and confounding
- An overview of the different types of experimental and observational study designs, including a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of each design
- Sampling and bias
- Introduction to medical statistics, Odds Ratios, risks and p values
- The impact of critical appraisals on evidenced based practice.